Thursday, February 10, 2011

Puerto Montt - favorite places

Hostal Vista Hermosa, a friendly and clean B&B with very reasonable rates. It is close to the bus station and next door to the police station, so it is quite safe here. Owner Señora Patricia is a very warm and welcoming host.

The view from Hostal Vista Hermosa lives up to its name: "Beautiful View."

Most tourists visit the fish market and restaurants at Angelmó

I didn't even get to the small restaurants that abound. I just chose a tray of freshly-steamed centolla (king crab) and a tray of raw machas (razor clams), bought a lemon, a roll and a glass of wine. Perfect.

I recommend having a coffee after a fish lunch at Angelmó. Nearby is the tiny coffee shop/gallery Café Angelmó. Javier Mansilla is often working on a new painting while his wife Cecilia serves coffee and homemade kuchen, among other delights. Javier's paintings fill the walls of the café. I treasure one of his paintings in my home in California.



Another favorite lodging is Hostal Trén del Sur, owned and operated by Mario Orellana. The building is constructed from recycled wood and contains antiques with train themes and historic photos of Puerto Montt.



Joanna is a capable and helpful person at the front desk.

The Hostal recently opened a new restaurant that features a unique menu of "slow food." Chef Paula has created dishes that will put this restaurant on the map as the most innovative in Patagonia. Prices are very reasonable. Here is Carlos preparing the tables while I work on this blog.

But my favorite place of all is on a friendly horse far from town. Calbuco Volcano is in the background. Juan was my guide for a 20-kilometer ride near Puerto Montt.

1 comment:

rager4me said...

Isn't puerto montt such a beautiful place. I want to live there one day.