Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nutcracker ballet


San José Ballet

For some unknown reason, this colorful Tchaikovsky ballet has become America’s favorite holiday entertainment. Every year ballet companies and orchestra musicians count on multiple performances as a way to balance their end of the year financial situation. For me it has become a welcome friend.

I played cello in various productions of Nutcracker. It is an excellent musical score and I always enjoyed the performances. It never bothered me that I had no view of the stage. The music was enough. Then there was the added pleasure of playing the celesta part, that toy piano sound that accompanies the Sugar Plum Fairy. I would put down my cello four times to play a short passage on this little keyboard, and then return to the cello.

Since I retired from the orchestra I am privileged to return to play only the celesta, a small keyboard instrument with hammers that strike metal bars that resemble those on a glockenspiel. I spend almost the entire Act I in the lounge, an opportunity to write Christmas cards and read. At the end of the act I also provide the sounds of a choir (on a synthesizer) singing “Ah…” I spend the intermission practicing the celesta.



In Act 2 there are two celesta passages, rapid figurations that last only about 60 seconds each. It took hours of practice to bring those up to speed. Then there is the lovely Sugar Plum Fairy music. This is what is often heard during the season in department stores and elevators, usually ugly electronic versions. It is my shining solo moment. I have no idea what the S.P. Fairy is doing. I wouldn’t recognize her in the street. I just follow the conductor. It concludes with a fast coda that I can barely play up to tempo. With a sense of accomplishment, I can then leave the theater before the end of the show and am out of the parking lot before the patrons and musicians line up at the exit.

I enjoy the music. I enjoy visiting with long-time colleagues. I enjoy getting to the parking lot first. Most of all, I enjoy the paycheck that provides another airline ticket to South America where I can then enjoy an austral summer in January and February.

No comments: