Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hornopirén

It's a new year and another trip to my favorite destination, the south of Chile. As usual, the trip begins in Puerto Montt, about 700 miles south of Chile's capital, Santiago. After a good rest of two days, I take the bus south to this lovely town of about 4,000 people. I was here last in 2002 when it was about half the size that it is now. Click here to see photos from that trip. The following are photos from 2010.




Black neck swans near the wharf in Hornopirén


Until about 30 years ago the town was connected to the world only by the sea. It was a major supplier of alerce, the ancient trees that were used for construction, somewhat similar to California redwood. The forest is now protected and there is no more cutting of these trees. This woodwork is on alerce that is cut from the remaining trunks in the forest. This beautiful piece is supported by cypress, and has a volcanic rock inserted in the wood.


Two days per week people come to town to sell their goods at the farmers’ market in the mercado típico, a building provided by the town. They offer mussels, clams, merluza (a typical local fish), and some veggies. There are two small restaurants in the same building. I had a delicious shellfish stew with very fresh ingredients.



This is my little cabaña in Hornopirén


It rains a lot in southern Chile. I knew this would be a wet summer. In this storm I may have to get my feet wet to leave the cabin. I have been keeping the wood stove stoked round the clock. Inside I am warm and dry. But I would rather be hiking or exploring the fjord.



Coming next: a visit to the hot springs at Llancahue Island and Quintupeu Fjord.

No comments: