Friday, June 9, 2017

Iberia 2017

A series of opportunities drew me to spend a month in Spain and Spanish lands.


Plaza Cibeles. Note the banner "Refugees Welcome."
(Click on any photo to enlarge, then zoom in)

The trip began with a visit to the Teatro Real in Madrid to see Alberto Ginastera's 1967 opera Bomarzo. My review of the performance is published at Peninsula Reviews.


Entrance to Sorolla house and museum in Madrid

I also wanted to visit the former home (and now museum) of the painter Joaquín Sorolla (1863-1923).  His paintings of the sea and beach scenes are superb.




The artist's studio

After four wonderful days in Madrid I boarded a bus for the five-hour trip north to San Sebastián, in the Basque Country. My dear friend María met me there and we traveled the 30 minutes by train to her town of Zarautz.


View of Zarautz, population about 23,000


Beach at Zarautz, looking toward Getaria


San Francisco Church, Zarautz


Waterfront at Biarritz, France

María and I visited with her friend Michele in nearby Biarritz, who hosted us for the night in her beautiful and artsy home near the sea.



María and Michele

No comments: