Friday, August 20, 2010

Mercado Modelo, Chiclayo

In my travels I find the most colorful things to photograph are in vegetable and fruit markets. This market in Chiclayo, Perú, occupies some blocks in the city. Offering fresh produce, meat and fish, there are also piles of clothes, shampoo and toothpaste. Fresh fruit juice smoothies are available for about half a U.S. dollar. I missed the Mercado de Brujos, offering everything necessary for shamans in the practice of their profession.

There is an astonishing variety of produce in the market. Many items I had never seen before.

These avocados are gorgeous, and easily 6 inches long. People tell me they grow even larger.

The lady selling the avos poses for the camera. I wish you could see her giggling friends looking on.

I had never seen purple corn before. Here it is used only for making chicha, a fermented drink that, when fresh, does not contain alcohol and can be very refreshing. It is also made from hops and peanuts.



No comments: